Honey Whole Wheat Bread
1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
350 for 30 min.
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
In saucepan, heat milk, orange juice, water, honey, and butter until warm. Add to flour mixture with egg and stir. Beat this batter for 3 minutes. Then, gradually stir in rest of whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour for a firm dough.
Knead dough on floured work surface, adding more flour if necessary, for 5-8 minutes until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, until doubled.
Punch down dough and divide in half. Pinch edges to seal and place dough, seam-side down, into greased 9x5" bread pans, making sure short ends of bread are snugly fitted against the sides of the pans. Cover and let rise in warm place until the dough fills the corners of the pans and is double in bulk, 30-40 minutes.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. I like to brush the bread with butter when it's still hot from the oven for a softer crust.
*Be careful not to make milk curdle
- 3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely
Recipe #4: Yoomi's Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups warm water (about 120 to 125 degrees temperature)
- 3 Tablespoons SAF yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Dough Enhancer
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 10 cups of whole wheat flour
Place all ingredients in your Bosch Mixer with only 5 cups of whole wheat flour. Turn Bosch Mixer on Speed 1. Add the rest of the whole wheat flour till the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl..about 5 more cups of flour! Mix/knead for 4 minutes. Form into 3 loaves and place in Stainless Steel bread pans to rise once. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!